Nonsurgical Facelift With Assufil Italian PDO Threads
At Petaluma Aesthetics, we are thrilled to offer this new PDO absorbable Thread Lift procedure to our clients. The PDO Thread Lift procedure safely and instantly lifts loose skin on the face, neck and the body with minimal downtime.
Thread Lift is one the most effective ways to lift the loose skin without surgery. As we age, the effects of gravity become more noticeable on our faces, especially as our facial support structure weakens and we lose facial fat. The areas that are generally affected are the eyebrows, areas around the eyes, the cheeks, the jowls and the neck. The result is a longer, more square-shaped and older-looking face.
Traditionally, most people would look into plastic surgery to get a facelift because there weren't very effective noninvasive treatments to lift loose skin. However, now there is an effective nonsurgical option that can lift and contour and suspend the sagging tissues on the face, neck and the body, especially for those who need only minimal to moderate rejuvenation or for those that do not wish to undergo surgical intervention.
What Is The Assufil Italian PDO Thread Lift And How Does It Work?
Italian PDO threads are hypodermic needles preloaded with a synthetic PDO absorbable suture. PDO (polydioxanone) sutures are surgical sutures. All sutures are FDA-approved and PDO sutures are one of the safest materials that can be used in the body. Your skin will fully absorb the PDO threads within 4 to 6 months without leaving any scar tissue.
While the sutures are underneath the skin, the cause a "selective inflammatory response" to produce collagen to create a longer-lasting result: This is the principle is behind many aesthetic procedures (such as fractional lasers, skin tightening treatments and microneedling). Our skin is excellent at repairing itself, and by inserting the PDO threads underneath the skin to lift the loose skin, the skin will heal itself by creating new collagen naturally!
YOUR SKIN GENTLY REACTS TO THE INSERTED THREADS
⇒ Yes, PDO is fully absorbable, but that doesn't mean your skin won't react to it. During the 4-6 months needed to fully absorb the PDO suture, your skin is also repairing itself around it.
⇒ It is "controlled healing" happening underneath the skin!
WHO IS A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR PDO THREAD LIFT?
For the right candidate, the Thread Lift can provide a pleasing, natural rejuvenation of the face with the benefit of no general anesthesia, rapid recovery and very minimal cost compared to a facelift or a necklift. Thread Lift may be combined with other, more minor surgical procedures, such as Botox, Injectable Fillers, Ultherapy, microneedling or skin resurfacing lasers.
Ideal candidates for thread lifts include:
- People with minimal signs of aging who need just a small lift. Good candidates are those patients who are starting to see some droopiness of the brow, cheeks, jowls and/or neck and would like to see a lift effect, but do not want the risk, scars, or recovery of a real browlift, facelift, or necklift operation.
- People who have had some relapse from a previous plastic surgery procedure such as a facelift or neck lift.
- People who do not wish to undergo a surgical facelift or necklift for various reasons such as not wanting the prolonged recovery of a standard facelift or do not wish to spend money on an expensive facelift.
Who is not a candidate for thread lifts?
- People who have excessive cutaneous laxity and very loose excessive skin
- People who have poor subcutaneous thickness or implants under the skin
- People with collagen diseases (Lupus erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis, etc..)
- People being treated with anticoagulant drugs for a medical condition
WHICH AREAS CAN BE TREATED WITH THE PDO THREADS?
Most popular treatment areas are the brows, cheeks (midface), jowls, and the upper neck. However, Thread Lift can be performed virtually anywhere on the body, such as to lift loose skin on the upper arms, abdomen, thighs and around the knees.
HOW IS THE PDO THREAD LIFT PERFORMED?
- Thread LiftThe areas to be treated will be numbed with topical anesthetic
- The areas to be treated are then marked.
- The threads are then inserted under the skin in precise locations using a small needle with the thread attached to lift and support droopy elements without removing any skin. The inserted thread is then able to grasp onto the droopy skin and soft tissue to reposition the skin. This requires no cuts or incisions. It's purely done by injections.
- With the lift effect secured, the needle is removed and the thread stays secure within the tissue placed.
- Depending on the desired effect of the lift, few to several sutures will be used.
- The PDO suture remains underneath the skin. Different sutures and lengths will be used depending upon the area(s) you need lifted.
THERE ARE 2 DIFFERENT TYPES OF PDO THREADS AND TECHNIQUES.
Barbed Threads : These threads are used for some individuals depending on the desired outcome. These threads have tiny barbs on the entire length of the thread to gather tissue to lift the cheeks and sagging skin where the threads are placed. This technique produces a more dramatic and immediate result. The skin will then build new collagen which will secure the lift and give the lift a longer lasting result.
Smooth Threads: These threads are smaller than the barbed sutures and are smooth (no barbs on the thread). These threads are placed under the skin vertically and horizontally to create a "mesh". This Mesh will serve as the foundation for new collagen production in the skin. The results appear naturally and gradually to improve fine lines and to firm the skin.
WHAT IS THE RECOVERY LIKE AFTER A THREAD LIFT?
Pain can be usually managed with acetaminophen (Tylenol). You may have mild swelling and bruising for few days. Icing the treated area as well as arnica is recommended for the first few days. We recommend avoiding strenuous activity for the first several days.
WHAT KIND OF RESULTS CAN BE EXPECTED AFTER THE PDO THREAD LIFT AND HOW LONG DO THE RESULTS LAST?
The result of the Thread Lift is immediate and even more noticeable after 1-2 weeks when all the swelling and potential bruising has resolved. The results will continue to enhance as your skin produces even more collagen over the next several months, which will also make the results of the thread lift last longer than the life of the threads. More threads can always be inserted later to continue to improve the results and prolong the results even more.
WHAT ARE THE SIDE EFFECTS OF THE THREAD LIFT?
Like any procedure using a needle, there is a chance of bruising and swelling. However, in most people, the bruising and swelling is minimal and resolve in less than a week. There is some post-procedure discomfort which usually resolves quickly in most patients. If the sutures, become visible underneath the skin or migrate, they can be easily removed if necessary and new threads can be placed.